The Regicides In New England

      "Who can you be? You are either Goffe, Whalley, or the devil, for there was no other man in England that could beat me!" And so the disguised judge retired into obscurity, leaving the spectators to enjoy the diversion of the scene and the vanquishment of the boasting champion. Hence it is proverbial in some parts of New England, in speaking of a champion at athletic and other exercises, to say that none can beat him but Goffe, Whalley, or the devil.'
      "A copy of the Act of Indemnity, which consisted almost entirely of 'exceptions' to itself reached Boston in November, and it was found that among those included in the exceptions were Whalley and Goffe. These gentlemen and their friends were filled with consternation, and the political pot of Boston was set boiling vigorously. The relations between Massachusetts and the mother country were already somewhat strained, and it was feared that the harboring of the regicide judges would make serious trouble. The matter drifted along without anything in particular being done, until the 21st of February, when Governor Endicott called a council to decide what to do. Four days later, the regicides relieved the embarrassment by withdrawing from the colony voluntarily. Shortly after they had left, a royal proclamation arrived, denouncing them as traitors, and commanding that they be given up to the authorities and sent to England.
      "On Tuesday, the 26th of February, 1661, the two judges, accompanied by a few friends, started quietly for New Haven on horseback by way of Springfield.
Unknown Grave Marker
Unknown Marker
It was in an old-fashioned New England winter, and the tedious journey was taken through deep snow and over an almost unbroken country. They reached Hartford on Saturday, and stopped to pay their respects to Governor John Winthrop. He received them with great kindness, and entertained them for three or four days, introducing them to the prominent citizens, and extending a most generous hospitality. A man named Lobden guided them to New Haven, where they arrived on the 7th of March, and went to the house of the Rev. Mr. Davenport. On the 27th, news of the proclamation reached New Haven. A consultation was held, and a course of action decided upon. The next day they appeared on the streets, bade their acquaintances farewell, and made a formal and public departure for New Amsterdam. When they reached Milford, ten miles below, they had their arrival announced, appeared on the streets and met the citizens, and showed every indication of being travellers journeying southward; but at night, instead of continuing toward New Amsterdam, they came back to New Haven and remained concealed at Mr. Davenport's, according to programme.
      "Two Boston officers named Breedon and Crowne had been very active in attempting to apprehend the regicides, and earned the contempt of the community by their zeal in the matter. Governor Endicott finally received a peremptory order from England to arrest the fugitives and send them to London. The royal warrant was clumsily worded. It was addressed, 'To our trusty and well-beloved, the present governor or other magistrate or magistrates of our plantation of New England.' There was no 'Plantation of New England.' The territory of Massachusetts and Connecticut was occupied by distinct and separate colonies, none of which was called 'Our plantation of New England.'
      Governor Endicott, however, waived legal nicety, and, without even calling his council to advise, issued a warrant and gave it to two young traders named Kellond and Kirk to search the colony of Massachusetts, and gave them letters to the governors of the other colonies.
      "They left Boston on Monday, the 6th

-- page 190 --

These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in print or electronic format is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 12 Sep 2005