Extracted and edited from “History And Antiquities of Every Town In Massachusetts” by John Warner Barber, 1848.
This town, which is situated on a range of the Green mountains, was incorporated in 1783. Rev. Jonathan Nash, the first minister, was settled in 1792, and died in 1834. His successor, Rev. Samuel Parker, was installed pastor in 1832, and resigned in 1833. He was succeeded by Rev. John H. Bisbee, in 1834. Besides the Congregational, there is a Baptist church in the central part of the town. A Methodist church is situated in the south-eastern section of the town.
This town is watered by two branches of Westfield river. The stream called Middle river divides this town from Worthington. Soap-stone and. an extensive bed of serpentine, or rock of various colors, are found in the town. In 1837, there were two woolen mills, 4 sets of woolen machinery; cloth manufactured, 26,000 yards, valued at $54,000; males employed, 26; females, 24; capital invested, $36,000. There were 9,724 Saxony sheep; wool produced, 26,741 lbs.; average weight of fleece, two and three-fourths lbs.; value of wool, $17,381 65; capital invested, $120,945. Population, 710. Distance, 24 miles from Northampton, 17 from Pittsfield, and 110 from Boston.
These pages are an edited and adapted version of the original
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
© Laurel O’Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
This page was last updated on
28 Apr 2006