Extracted and edited from “History And Antiquities of Every Town In Massachusetts” by John Warner Barber, 1848.
This town was incorporated in 1822, previous to which it formed a part of Pelham. Rev. Ebenezer Brown was installed pastor here in 1827, and resigned in 1835. The Rev. Job Cushman, his successor, was installed here the same year. A church formerly existed in this town while it was a part of Pelham, over which two ministers were settled, Matthias Cazier and Sebastian C. Cabot. This church became extinct. The church was re-organized in 1823, with 12 members.
This town is watered by several branches of Swift River, which is a principal branch of the Chicopee. The principal article of manufacture is palm-leaf hats, of which, in 1837, 50,000 were manufactured, valued at $10,000. Population, 788. Distance, 16 miles from Northampton, 8 from Amherst, and 76 from Boston.
These pages are an edited and adapted version of the original
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
© Laurel O’Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
This page was last updated on
28 Apr 2006