Extracted and edited from “History And Antiquities of Every Town In Massachusetts” by John Warner Barber, 1848.
This town was incorporated in 1768. The Rev. Jonathan Huntington appears to have been the first minister in the place. He died in 178, aged 48; his successor in the ministry was Rev. Josiah Spaulding, who died in 1803; the next minister was Rev. Jonathan L. Pomeroy, who died in 1836, aged 67. The next minister was Rev. Henry Adams, who was settled in 1833.
This township occupies an elevated situation near the center of the Green mountain range, upon its eastern declivity. The waters in this township are discharged into the Connecticut by the Westfield river, the principal branch of which washes the south-west boundary of the town, and other branches pass through the middle and north-east parts. It is one of the best townships of land in this vicinity; the surface is handsome and pleasant, and much of the soil rich and productive, producing grain, fruits, &c. In 1837, there were in this town 9,050 merino sheep; wool produced, 27,000 lbs.; average weight of fleece, 3 lbs.; value of wool, $16.875; capital invested, $25,000; value of curtains manufactured, $10,125; value of leather tanned and. curried, $32,000. Population, 1,142. Distance, 17 miles from Northampton, 55 from Albany, N. Y., and 110 from Boston.
These pages are an edited and adapted version of the original
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
© Laurel O’Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
This page was last updated on
28 Apr 2006